There is nothing better than a home cooked meal that is easy to cook and healthy. This recipe has the added benefit of crushed garlic, sliced ginger and the slight hit of fresh chilli. I have added fresh ingredients like corn and carrot to suit my two year old boy but could imagine swapping out for bean spouts and pak choi for an authentic Thai taste.
Ingredients for the Chicken Broth
- 1 BBQ Chicken Carcass (Save meat for later)
- 2 Spring Onions (Sliced)
- 3 Cloves of Garlic (Crushed)
- 1 Fresh Ginger 1cm x 1cm (bashed and sliced)
- 7 Peppercorns
Ingredients for the Soup
- Rice Noodles (Serving for 4)
- Chicken that was removed from carcass
- 4 Spring Onions (Sliced)
- 2 Cobs of corn (corn kernels removed)
- 1 Carrot (Julienned)
- 1 Lime (wedged)
- 1 Red Chilli (deseeded and sliced into little pieces)
- Small bunch of Mint (Roughly chopped)
- 2 Tbl Spoons of Honey
- 1 Tbl Spoon of Soy Sauce (Coeliac option Tamari Sauce)
To make the broth, throw the chicken carcass and wings in a large pot and cover with water. Add the other ingredients and simmer for 1 hr.
Strain the chicken broth being careful to pick out any pieces. Put the broth back on the heat and bring back to the boil. For ease use Muslin or cheese cloth.
Then add the noodles and boil for 3 mins. Stir in the chicken, corn, carrot, chilli, honey and soy sauce and allow to simmer for 10mins.
To serve ladle into bowls and sprinkle spring onions and mint leaves over the top and place lime wedges in bowl for squeezing.